Sunday, July 27, 2014

#179 The Phronima

Animalia: Day 127
The Phronima
The phronima is a deep sea thing with lots of leggies and things.
They're translucent and small and wiggly so in pictures and videos
it is hard to tell exactly how many legs and thangs they have.
They also eat and hollow out the bodies of salps, or barrel-
shaped plankton, and then use the carcasses as vessels in which 
they lay their young.


Supposedly the xenomorph in Alien was partly based on them.
Not sure if I believe it, but the head does bear some resemblance 
to the Alien queen.

Reversed the image for the colors, and did them pretty quickly,
but I am rather happy with how it turned out. I don't think I have
done this for any of my other animal drawings, so that's exciting.

Tomorrow: the Pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment